Saturday, January 15, 2022

2021: COVID, Virtual Runs, and the Skagit River

 2021 was another year with COVID limitations. I suppose things were better than the full-on lockdowns of 2020. I continued to center myself by getting out on long walks and runs around the Skagit Valley. Less events but more miles than ever, maybe. 

The outdoors highlight of the year was our 12 day trip to the Big Island. Something happens with Hawaii visits when they stretch beyond the first week. For a little while, it starts feeling like home, with mini routines setting in. Racing came back a bit, with a few innovations, like the rolling start. I continued with my virtual races, including a virtual New York City Marathon, the Great Virtual Run Across Tennessee, and the Circumpolar Race Around The World. These virtual events drew me back, time and time again, to the Skagit River, with new routes discovered from home. The River had quite the year, between low and then flood-stage levels, salmon runs, and heavy snow.

 

Here are some highlights from the runs, outdoors and events of 2021.

 

1.     The Big Island

 



We visited the Big Island from late April into May, and it was an amazing trip. Somehow we timed things just right, missing the surge of crowds which came a month or two later, as well as the surge in prices.  I ran every day in Kona, usually at 4 or 5 in the morning, before the sun came up, under the stars and Milky Way. We made it Volcanoes National Park and saw a much larger crater. Farm markets, local eats, crafts, and sunsets by the beach, every day.

 

2.     Circumpolar Race Around The World

 


The Circumpolar Race Around The World is a 30,000+ mile, 12 stage event, requiring teams of up to ten persons to log their mileage each day. My team started in 2020, and will be finishing up in early 2022. We keep a private group where we discuss our progress and encourage each other. The team has ten members: 4 Canadians, 4 Americans, and 2 Europeans. Each day after logging miles we can go to Google Maps and see exactly where we are. I’ve found this collaborative effort has helped me to lace up and put in 5 or 6 miles on many a day when I would not have, otherwise. There have been rainy runs, snowy runs, sunny runs, and many evening walks. I’ve spent much time looking at the Skagit River, the fields around the valley, and various neighborhoods.  I canceled my gym membership when the pandemic, and picked this up instead, and overall I think it has helped my health.

 

3.     Cutthroat Classic

 


I was glad to once again run the Cutthroat Classic up in the North Cascades. This rates high on the annual list, because I got to see several family members I hadn’t seen in a year or so, three of who also ran the race. We had great weather and views. This year there was a very odd rolling start—“start when you want to”—and it worked well for me, as I had the trail largely to myself for the first three miles or so, after starting late. Nice hat and after-race meal. Really special because Reese ran with us. Reese was a newborn the first time Holley and I ran this together.

 

4.     Snohomish River Run Marathon

 

Snohomish is the county just to the south of Skagit. My friend Eric suggested I run this one with him, and I was glad to, as I wanted to check out the area for running. The course is flat and lends itself to a pretty fast time, I think. The first half is an out and back on the Centennial Trail and the second half is basically an out and back on the River Road. Very pretty fall views of the valley to the south. I had a very steady day and my best marathon splits in some time. I almost felt like a runner.

 

5.     Floods of 2021

 



Northwest Washington experienced record flooding in November this year. In Whatcom County, whole towns were flooded. In Mount Vernon, flood walls had to be installed to hold the waters back from spilling into the town. And the walls worked!  On one night, I was unable to drive home on I-5, forcing me to take Chuckanut, and then turnaround twice before finding a clear route across the valley. The next day I ran the Skagit, witnessing the high levels.

 

6.     The Great Sedro-Woolley Foot Race

 


5.17 miles, again! Thankful for this Fourth of July tradition. Great to see many Skagit Runners, at a live event, after a year of shutdowns.  A very simple day.

 

7.     New York City Virtual Marathon

 


Back to Strava. I don’t use much technology in my running. I’m pretty resistant, I guess—I don’t want too much data, even if it would probably turn me into a better runner, especially if I paid attention. But, I’ve used Strava a couple times now, to do the virtual NYC marathon, and both those experiences have been great. The NY Road Runners app talks to me as I run, giving me encouragement and noting a few key points along the course. I love the NYC marathon, and so this is all endearing. 

 

I did the same course as last year—home to Conway along the Dike Road, half a turn around the outer edge of Fir Island, and then back to Mount Vernon via Rexville, Beaver Marsh, Kamb, and McLean Road. Or three bridges over the Skagit, as another way I think about it.

 

This year was a pretty tough run, actually. I had a sprained ankle, which was only slightly healed. The weather was bad, and I got soaked in the final four miles or so. Also, one of my “water stops” was closed, leaving me thirsty for the final 8 miles. But I hit my finish line, right by Mr. T’s..

 

8.     Snow Runs on the Skagit





The year ended with a serious freeze. Christmas had a bit of white, and then the snow fell down much more, with maybe a foot or so. The snow stuck around for a week, and turned to ice. I got out on the River Bend road and elsewhere, breaking tracks, watching birds, and freezing my nasal passages. The running wasn’t strong—it was more like slow cross-country skiing, but each day was beautiful. The Skagit Valley felt a lot like the Methow Valley to the east, for this time of year.

 

9.     Baker Lake 50k

 


My favorite race makes the list again. There’s a temptation to leave it off, because I do it every year, but this is a big reason why: its always pretty, and usually a good day out. I had no trouble with the distance this year, although it was mixed in with a five week period of Baker Lake, Snohomish River Marathon and the virtual NYC.  I think I was fresher for this one, though. It was a beautiful day, and for the first time I spotted red/green sockeye salmon, from the bridge at the turnaround.

 

10.  Centennial Trail

 

It was many years overdue, but for the first time I ran the Centennial Trail from north end and Nakashima Barn. Stan Nakashima mentioned an event out that way, and while I didn’t marathon miles in me that day, I got in a solid 11 and set myself up for a longer run to come, maybe this year. Great to see some friends out there, including Stan.

 

The year was short on events, because of COVID, but I got to get together with many good friends, as well as family.  We didn’t get out as much as in the past, but we took in the Aquasox and I won amazing seats through Global Citizen to see John Legend in Woodinville. He was amazing. No Mariners, no Seahawks, and only one true visit to Seattle. Pike Place was disorienting after so much social distancing. The family visits were the best of things.

 


Wishing all my friends and those who come this way a healthy and happy new year. 

No comments: