Sunday, September 12, 2021

Cutthroat Classic

I got up at 4:05AM yesterday and headed east to run the Cutthroat Classic. It was a really good day. The wildfires have created smoke concerns on the east side, but it rained the day before a bit, which pressed down the smoke, and then the weather was terrific yesterday.

Due to COVID, the race was supposed to go with six waves. Instead, with the benefit of chip timing, they changed things up, and just did a rolling start. I think this is great, but it lead to a bit of confusion for me, as I bussed up to the start, and I was hoping to meet some family members who were also running. I wasn't sure whether to start or if they were coming, since there was no cell service. Eventually, I took off, and I had the trail to myself pretty much for the first two miles, which was very nice.

This race used to be two weeks earlier, but they've pushed it back, I think, because of fire risks for cancellation. This is kind of cool, because now you can really start to see the colors change.

I ran this race for my first time in 2002, and I've ran it many times since. It is nearly 11 miles, point to point, from Rainy Pass on Highway 20 down to the Cutthroat Lake trailhead. The first portion of the run in on the PCT and there were a few thru hikers there, nearing their finish. I ran sort of ok. I was tired, to start, and I ate poorly the day before, and then I took pics, but I'm moving better than in recent years. I finished in 2:20. My best is about a half hour faster; my worst probably a half hour slower, or so. 

The best part was Holley, Reese, and Dan running, and then seeing the rest of their families afterwards. We had lunch down in Mazama, and then I found my way back to Mount Vernon.

On Sunday, I helped out the Skagit Flats Marathon at the 12 mile turnaround. Rainy day, but so peaceful out there in the flats. Football afterwards, Hawks win.









 

No comments: