Friday, October 25, 2019

The Who


Mike and I attended The Who show at T-Mobile Park. It was terrific. I didn't have high expectations, and Roger and Pete exceeded those, for a couple of old guys. They lined up an orchestra of about 40 local musicians, who made this a totally different type of rock concert. They focused on the Tommy and Quadrophenia albums, and then threw in several of their greatest hits. It made a good balance.

Roger still has it, especially on some of the anthems like Love Reign O'er Me. The show closed with a terrific version of Baba O'Riley, which featured horns and some great violin. Pee was rather feisty, both on guitar and in comment. At one point early on, he riffed into Hendrix's Foxy Lady, which made me smile. A few other times it was pure guitar solo stuff. He didn't break his guitar, but there were plenty of 360 windups.

The highlight of the show for me though was the surprise guest appearance of Eddie Vedder, who sang the Punk and the Godfather with his elders.Eddie were a cool Union Jack jacket, custom I suppose, and looked totally into it.

T-Mobile is an odd place for a show. Our seats were pretty decent, considering. 300 Level, first row, slightly off-center, nice price. It was a cold night, with folks in wool and puffy jackets, including the backup guitarist.

The Who was one of my favorite bands growing up. Still are. Glad I figured it out and checked them out while I still could.

This blog will settle back again into outdoor adventures and running soon, promise.






No comments: