Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Blanchard Mountain Loop


It has been a while since I've been up on Blanchard Mountain. Too long, for my own backyard run, as I think of it. Over the past few years, I've made it over there less and less, though still now and then. Each time, I'm moved by the little changes I see.

Starting out, I immediately noted that selective logging has taken place, sometimes very near the trail, and then sometimes over across the way. Sometimes this left for open views down towards the Skagit Valley, or of the logging road up to the scenic overlook. Then, the section between the overlook and Oyster Dome is remarkably more busy than it ever used to be. I passed many persons going either way on this section. Once upon a time, this was a pretty remote, rough trail. However, the fisherman trails have been turned into longer, gentle shortbacks, and many are out, even in the earlier AM weekend hours.

But once you get past Oyster Dome and head towards Lilly and Lizard Lake, the population thins. There is a new bridge crossing a creek I used to rock hop. The trail between Lilly and Lizard was peopleless, and full of mushrooms. Fall colors are still happening. The alt-incline too, empty, but for me.

I ran faster than I have in recent years, but not fast. My ankle did not turn, but the next day my right foot ached in ways that reminded me that I ran Blanchard the day before.

This was one of the good days.




No comments: