Sunday, October 6, 2019

Baker Lake 50k


Another first weekend in October, another Baker Lake 50k. I hurt today. After flying back from New York this week, my body wasn't fully recovered from jet lag, hard travel, and maybe early stage illness of some sort. Anyway, I hurt today.

I finished in 8:24, which I think was slow for my fitness, though a bit faster than the past few years. I went out in 3:45 and back in 4:45--basically a slog, walking, shuffling, groaning on the way back. I rolled the same old right ankle crossing a creek. Fun!

The weather looked ominous driving in--heavy, pelting rain. I was regretting not bringing a heavier shell, but serious rain never materialized during the run. It turned out to be a pretty ok day.

This was my 16th finish. Next year I get to drive it.

The best part of the day was seeing so many friends, particularly those volunteering. Thanks Terry, Delores, James and all. Good to see Tim, John, and Stan at the turnaround. Great to see others with so many finishes--Ryan, Karen, Jean, and many others. This event brings people back, year after year. Magic.

No comments: