Sunday, September 8, 2019

Skagit Flats Half Marathon



I had the pleasure today of running the Skagit Flats Half Marathon. I originally signed up for the full--like last year I think--but stepped down to the half, having just ran the Labor Day Half six days ago. My legs were still tired.  This two-pack of halfs emphasize flat and fast.

The weather was overcast. We had a memorable lightning storm the night before, and the skies were still cloudy. The course is country roads, although this year there seemed to be a few more cars, which probably was because the MS Ride was happening on other valley roads the same time, and drivers were cutting across the valley to support their riders. Or not--just a guess.

I ran the second half faster than the first half, as I reached the turnaround a bit behind the 2:30 pacer, but ended up finishing at 2:23. Slow, but it was encouraging to be able to run steady for the final six.

I volunteered on Saturday at the packet pickup, which was enjoyable. I liked seeing all the runners come in, focused and ready to go. It sort of reminded me of what a great group runners can be, overall. Many thanks to all the good people of Skagit Runners for putting this run on for its 42nd year. It takes a lot of effort and people, and year after year the club delivers. It's a nice thing to be a part of.


No comments: