Saturday, September 21, 2019

Lookout Mountain


I could have stayed home this morning, and coffee and the news would've been nice. Instead, I got up at 4:30, and drove up to Marblemount and the trailhead for Lookout Mountain. I've wanted to hike this trail for many years, and finally it is in the bag. I think this may have been the last weekend of summer, and the high country will probably be shutting down in a month or so. As Janis said, Get it while you can.

Lots of trucks on the road early this AM. I guess salmon fishing for kings and coho opened up on the Cascade River--and I saw a few on my way back. Also, hunting season is here.

This trail is a tough climb--about 4500 feet elevation gain, I think, over 4.5 miles. Mike and I did its sibling trail, Monogram Lake, a month or two ago. I think that was a tad harder, but we were carrying a bit more gear. The trail is fine, but there are some steep edges and so watch your step. Overall, the hike is about 9.5 miles.

I was the first one on trail, starting at daybreak (6:30 AM). It took me three hours to get to the lookout. I was walking through the clouds for a good portion of the way. The views up top were limited by the clouds, although I got a good look down valley at one point. The weatherman promised better.

A nice young couple from down south had the lookout to themselves last night. We talked and shared a bit, as I investigated what was to be seen. A lightning stool. An antique headlamp. A library with a definite nature writing focus. The log book (entry made). A stove, but I'm not sure if it worked. A couple beds. 360 views of the Baker, Shuksan, the Picketts, Hidden Peak, and so on, on a good day, with pictures on the wall to identify the mountains.

I was disappointed not to see any bears or other big animals. Maybe they saw me. I passed 13 or so people coming up, on my way down. Somebody's mom complained, "This is not a beginner hike." I think tomorrow I'll feel the downhill more than anything. My hips and quads are not fans. Age.

This was maybe my 10th lookout in Washington State. There's a nice new book out on fire lookouts in Washington--great write up in there on this hike. This also was my first solo hike in the high country in a little while--at least since last year, but I didn't hike much then. It felt good to get lost in my thoughts.

I got home in time for the second half of the UW Husky game, which we won, big, over BYU. Everyone's excited about Jacob Eason now.












No comments: