Sunday, February 28, 2021

Cascade Trail

 


I usually write posts here after a race or some sort of trail run. I haven't been doing a lot of either lately. Most races are on the shelf due to the pandemic, and I've been content to get my miles in closer to home. I have been out running, as part of my run around the world event. I've been logging about 40 to 50 miles per week, though I probably dropped a little off average in January and February due to weather and a bit of restlessness. Sometimes steady carries me, but sometimes steady is hard to find, with the semi-lockdown and the daily barrage of COVID news. There is so much discontent and unhappiness out there.

Yesterday I drove out to Sedro-Wolley and hit the Cascade Trail for an 11 mile out and back. First I ran towards town, and then I ran towards the flooded creek, the name for which escapes me now, bit which I know is some four miles down the trail. This trail gets better with age for me, probably because I don't have to worry about rolling my ankle, and I'm as likely as not to run beneath a sitting eagle, as I dd yesterday. The deep green farm fields with the snow covered hills, barbed wire fence, and occasional cows are the perfect counterpoint to the confusion of the world. The trail is not empty, but people are widely spaced out, generally with smiles.

In past years, I tried to average an event per month, but I'm not really into going too far out of my way to find the odd live event right now. I have my one virtual relay race--we're not "virtually" crossing Antarctica, a 3400 mile journey-and then will transverse Australia. That has been good. New York Road Runners has a few good things, and I may do their half this month, for a time. I'd like to pick a few trails to cover this year, but haven't quite got there yet in the planning. Time to start thinking about it, as the weather warms up.

No comments: