Sunday, January 17, 2021

Nookachamps Double

 


Another January, glad to be here. Most years I run the Nookachamps Half this weekend, as the start line is minutes from the house, and the road is one of my regular running routes. This year, COVID, still.

Anyway, I went ahead and ran a modified half on Saturday, for 16 miles, and then met with Craig, Chris and Jason on Sunday, running a modified 10k route, for 7.5 miles. Calling it a double, like shots, but not. 

Weather was great, and my running was pretty steady too. Actually, this weekend has been relatively restful, aside from the running. Took the Xmas tree down, finally. And someone got their first shot. A different kind of shot, the good one these days.

I've been seeing all kinds of birds lately. The other day I saw a belted kingfisher just down by Lion's Park. On these Nookachamps runs, the winter birds all checked in--eagles, swans, snow geese, other waterfowl, herons--good stuff. Last weekend I went by a flock of thousands of snow geese, which went nuts when someone started shooting. Lots of shotguns going off in the distance.

My running is going ok. I'm not doing too many trails, as I'm tired of rolling my ankle. But my road base is set, and so I'm able to jog roads well enough. I'm logging miles with my Circumpolar team, as we try to virtually run around the world. Right now we're 500 miles from the south tip of South America. We virtually passed some sea lions and penguins on Google maps this week. The team thing is different, but I'm liking it--I think we have two from Europe, four from Canada, and four from the US.  I feel like I'm more active than usual this time of year, when in the past I'd drop in the gym and do a soft hour on a bike or elliptical while reading.

The news of the world is tough these days. 

No comments: