Monday, September 14, 2020

Copper Ridge Lookout



Craig and I did a long day trip to Copper Ridge Lookout about three weeks ago. The views were spectacular, as the skies were clear. This is one of the best spots for views in the North Cascades, and these photos don't do the 360 degree mountainscape justice.

We saw a mama bear with two cubs near the lookout, foraging. We also saw a goat right below the lookout. The marmot pictured here was very accomodating.

The hike was pretty dry--running water wasn't to be found after Boundary Camp, although there was a snow patch up high. We talked ot the lookout ranger--she was on an eight day stint, and I sort of envied her getaway. 

We didn't do the full loop, as I did a few years back with Mike and Rich, but I heard the sockeye were swimming the Chiliwack. The trail itself was in terrific condition, due to the work of trail crews. Very runanble, though we just hiked fast.

A great day, overall--certainly a highlight in a year lacking them. 

As I write this, the skies are now full of ash and soot, from horrible wildfires that have taken over the Washington, Oregon, and California. It's hard to fathom these remarkable views, just three weeks ago. The fires were really bad in 2018 as well, and have been increasing, presumably in relation to climate change. I know in my lifetime I've witnessed changes in the high country--this hike is a good example, as we expected more snow cover in August on the ridge, which in the past some times does not even open up. Also, the glaciers in Hannegan valley seem to have receded from when I first did that hike in the 1990s. 











No comments: