Thursday, July 4, 2019

Great Sedro-Woolley Foot Race

I'm not sure how many times I've done this race, but I found a ribbon last week from 2003. I'm guessing that's the first time, and then probably two out of every three years since then.

This year's event was a bit overcast. Excellent running weather, as a finisher exclaimed to me afterwards. As usual, I did the 5.17 mile circuit, as opposed to the 2 miler. Lots of characters dressed up in red, white, and blue. Streets lined with chairs, for the subsequent parade.

I wasn't too happy with my running, but I know I've been slower. 52:20 or so, so 10 minutes per mile, more or less. My lower back is tight, perhaps from years of sitting in a chair at the office, perhaps due to core and weight. I also started a ways back, while conversing with friends, which made for a scramble through strollers and little kids as the race took off.

This is a really fun race, for the smiles and enthusiasm everyone brings. A democratic affair in a republican town, with persons of all fitness levels representing. Great to see all my friends from Skagit Runners, and great appreciation for the volunteers of Woolley, who make this happen, year in, year out.

Happy 4th of July! 

No comments: