Sunday, June 23, 2019

March Point Half Marathon


I ran the March Point Half Marathon on Saturday. I've done the 10k a number of times, but this was my first time in the Half....and I liked it a lot.

The course starts at the Marathon Refinery, circles March Point, and then does an out and back on the Tommy Thompson Trail to Anacortes. A large part of the route is either next to or over salt water. I saw a family of seals, a big eagle, and a lot of smiling volunteers.  

I'm near ashamed to say that I've never been on the Tommy Thomson trail. This is a trestle trail, pictured above, over water. It crosses what appears to be an estuary, and then continues along the shore into Anacortes. The turnaround point is somewhere by Cap Sante Marina. 

The half marathon had about 50 participants. I like races small with big views, and that's what I got. Affordable price, with a barbq at the finish. I am a fan.

I finished in 2:30, with not a lot of people behind me. I could've gone a little faster, but wanted to have some energy for other activities this weekend.  Hopefully I build from this. It was a good way to spend Saturday morning.

Thanks to everyone who helped put this on. Events like this are great to have around.

2 comments:

Tim Lofton said...

Nice work Scott. I've never been on that trail before either; looks really cool out there. Love the low key races; one of the things I loved about Skagit Flats. Time for you to get out on the trails!

Scotty said...

No kidding Tim. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a Sourdough loop with Craig this summer. Thinking about doing something sooner--not sure where. Been a busy time at home, and so the past two years I haven't got in as much high country time. Also, I've been knocking off smaller, local races, in a continuing effort to get some improvement. If anything, I undersold this race here. This may be one of my most favorite half marathons now. We're pretty fortunate in the Skagit, with a number of local events that I really like. This one is a notch up though on the scenic factor. The Anacortes Arts Dash Half in August is very similar. Wish you were here!