Monday, February 19, 2018

Woolley Runs Marathon

On Saturday, I walked the Woolley Runs Marathon in a downpour, mixed within winds, holding up an umbrella for much of the day.  I wore four layers up top, including a Marmot rain jacket, plus two hats (OR sombrero), a buff around the neck, and long running tights. I wore the wrong socks (Smartwool), in some old shoes (Montrail Masochists), and blistered bad under the foot and on some toes. My back was stiff going into this, and it hurt more as the day went on. I never seriously thought about trying to run, but there was some shuffling going on, now and again.

It was an ok day, notwithstanding.  This is an out and back on the Cascade trail out of Sedro-Woolley, put on by NW Ultras (Terry, Delores, James, et al.). Thank you all! The Woolley Runs are a terrific way to get out on a flat, rails trail in Skagit Valley in February.  The start line is about 15 minutes from home.  The trail parallels the Highway 20 corridor, from a distance. You pass fields upon fields, some with snow geese, Canadian geese, and swans. There were some bison.  Some horses and some cows. I think I saw some Alpacas. Definitely some sheep.  The hills and mountains on either side had snow in them. At some points, the trail parallels Lyman Slough and the Skagit River.

Indeed, the weather was miserable. I almost bailed, but I really wanted a long walk to clear the head, and so that's what I did. Basically, it was a hike with support at miles 4, 6, 13, 20, and 22.  There were great eats at the finish line (chili, chicken noodle, hot dogs, et al.), and soon enough I was home and watching the Olympics. The memory will last longer than the pain and discomfort. Walking for miles on end, with rain and wind my constant companion, is a good way to re-connect with myself and nature, at least in measured doses.


No comments: