Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Mount Vernon During Coronavirus


I'm feeling a little bit gothic. Hard times in a pandemic. But here we are, suddenly. We make the most of things, wherever we are. I get out and do my walks and runs, and sometimes I take pictures. There is much to find, in the alleys and on the hills of Mount Vernon.

Washington State like about three-quarters of the country is in a state of lockdown. Some call it shelter in place; Alaska calls it hunker down. Stay home, stay healthy. Trips to the grocery store are ok, as are walks and runs, but most are working from home.

The National Parks, State Parks, National Forests, and DNR lands are all closed, pretty much. Blanchard and Chuckanut are sort of off-limits. I haven't gone there, in any case.

I get up, and go for a walk around the neighborhood, alternating streets. I check out what people are doing with their homes. I listen to the birds, everywhere. I look at trees--the cherry blossoms are blooming right now. Spring is here, but it's still a bit cold. I "social distance" myself to the opposite crosswalk, when I see someone.

At lunch or in the evening, I try to put in a run. I've been running down by the Skagit River, down by the hospital, and around town. I carry my phone and take pics, sometimes. Its nice to run around town more, as so often I do my running in Bellingham.

Usually, this is Tulip Festival time in Mount Vernon. There are tulips, but no festival. Restaurants are closed, but I have noticed some lines outside, for take-out. It feels good to be a consumer sometimes, but every personal interaction may be a germ vector. Ugh.

Today Skagit County reported it is up to 128 cases. Seems like it was less than ten, not more than two weeks ago. The news is all fear. I try to use routine to hold on to the normal. Be well, friends.














No comments: