Sunday, February 9, 2020

Chuckanut in February


The last two weekends I've ventured into the Chuckanuts, in anticipation of the 50k in March. January may well have been the wettest month on record. February has continued that trend through the first week. We've had pineapple winds and all manner of rain--sideways hard, steady drizzle, relentless showers. The wind has caused trees to fall across the trails, and yesterday a mudslide shut down Chuckanut after I arrived at the trailhead. I had to route home via Old Samish Highway.  Perhaps that's why the trails seemed emptier than normal this weekend--a major difference from last week, when it seems everyone and their friend was motoring up the hills, past me, with smiles.

Yesterday, I only saw one person after passing Fragrance Lake Junction, up Chinscraper, and around the back on the Ridge/Lost Lake Loop. I hiked up to the top of Chuckanut, barely running, but I managed to jog the ridge, and jogged the back side and way back to the car.  I guess I probably put in 15 miles, at an unimpressive but better than hiking pace.

The water was flowing. As per below, the trail in parts was a stream. Puddles everywhere, and I had to watch my step on the ridge, as the wet roots were surely slippery. I guess on Orcas the runners for the past few weekends have been running through trail streams. No spills for me this weekend, but last weekend I landed on my butt, hard, coming off the chinscraper trail to Fragrance Lake Road.

I am parking inside Larrabee these days, because there have been a high incidence of broken glass car break-ins in the Lost Lake and Fragrance trailhead lots. You would think the State would set up some wildlife cams to record activity in these highly trafficked places. Not that hard to do, and with a sign or too, perhaps some deterrence. They could also place park vehicle in strategic places. And catch the crooks--they should do that too.

We are ready for things to spring up a bit around here. Too much dark and rain. The sound of the furnace kicking in is getting old.



No comments: