Sunday, January 19, 2020

Nookachamps Half


A great day running around the roads near to home, at the Nookachamps Half.  The weather has been rough these past few days, with a few inches of snow. It really warmed up overnight, allowing for really good conditions for running.

The course was altered this year, so we didn't go on Highway 9 or through Clear Lake and by Dean and Ruth's place. Sorry not to see them. I did the early start, and there weren't a lot of runners. The roads have gotten busier in the past few years, but the birds were out in force, and the long views across fields towards snowy hills were beautiful. A really nice day to be out.

My goal was to cover 13.1 miles and not hurt too much tomorrow, so I can keep at it this week.  Mission accomplished. I took lots of pics and walked a bit here, and there, but I ran ok as compared to other recent events. I finished in 2:38, and could've clipped 10 or 15 minutes off that if I wanted to put the phone away and pound the ground harder. I have Chuckanut 50k on my radar, and so I'm trying to get things a bit more in order.

I love running down Francis Road, and do this run a lot anyways. Five minutes from home and all. The out and back was fine. The eagles stuck around for a second look. There were a ton of brussel sprouts on the side of the road for a one or two mile stretch. I'm guessing they were falling from trucks, after a harvest. Don't see that all the time.

Thank you to Kevin, Keefer and everyone who puts this on. Good to see Skagit Runners peeps. Now on the couch for some championship football.


Two eagles, not disturbed


RDs Keefer and Kevin at early start



Dropping down Francis Road


Brussel sprouts were all over the course -truck spill?


Milk truck at dairy farm blocking course



No comments: