Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Snowy Chuckanut


I got out early Saturday A.M. and did a Chuckanut walkabout, covering the middle 18 except for the final Chinscraper climb. More like 16, I suppose. That was plenty for me, as the whole route/course was covered in snow from Fragrance Lake on. It was a slog climbing Cleator Road in the snow, and then the Ridge Trail was very icy. I was going to bail, but Deb happened to call when I was up top, and encouraged me to go for it, because it was a such a beautiful day. I navigated the Ridge, avoiding ledges, and looking for dirt to step on. Mostly careful walking. One guy passed me and I could hear him swearing, again and again, as he slipped ahead of me.

Both Fragrance Lake (above) and Lost Lake (last, below) were frozen. A younger me might've tried walking across, but I was alone, and it wasn't that cold, so no. Huge icicles hung from the rock ledge back on the Lost Lake Trail, and enormous blocks of ice lay on the ground, having broken off. I've seen it like this back there, but not in a while, and not with those huge blocks of ice. Crunch, crunch, crunch, I went.

I beat most everyone up there by leaving early, but eventually the trails were full of runners, prepping for the Chuckanut 50k in a couple weeks. Ran into Kevin. Spirits were good, with lots of hellos, and overall it made for a memorable day. Sunday is a home day.


Cleartor Rd./Fragrance Lake Connector Trailhead, snow covered



Long clear views from the Ridge


Runner approaching out by Lost Lake


Icicle City


Blocks of ice below Icicle City


Frozen Lost Lake

4 comments:

Tim Lofton said...

Wow, those ice chunks! The ridge is a delicate place when it's snowy/icy. With age comes the wisdom to keep it slow and enjoy the sights a bit.

Scotty said...

I've never seen blocks of ice like that back there. Kind of nuts. The ridge was about as sketchy as I can remember. The running club had to cancel another race this weekend over at Lake Padden due to longstanding ice.

Anonymous said...

Wow - makes Sedro-Wolley look like a walk in the park. Good on you (as the Aussies would say) for getting out there and sticking to it (and not going out on the frozen ice!) Great photos. Thanks for sharing! Seth

Scotty said...

Seth, if you were there, we would've had to do the lake cross dare. (: Something for next year, maybe. And I was comparing it with S-W the whole day.