Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Cascade Trail Pizza Run


On Saturday, I ran the Cascade Trail from Sedro-Woolley to Concrete, as part of Skagit Runners' annual Annie's Pizza Run. Basically, Steve D. organizes a group run, at no cost, which ends at Annie's. Annie's is one of the best pizza stops in the State. I keep their menu in my glove box to call in an order when I'm coming down from the mountains. Deb loves it.

So, we were all supposed to meet at Annie's after doing our runs, at 11:15. I did a horrible job planning, and almost missed everyone, as I arrived closer to noon. But I ran farther than most, putting in 22 miles. Of course, I didn't really plan at all for this, and didn't realize it was that distance--I was thinking something more like 16 to 18 miles. Its not like we don't have maps, programs, and a glut of information out there. But I don't run with a watch these days, stuck in my Luddite ways. I run to escape, and increasingly in monkish fashion.

The trail and day were amazing.  I started at 7:15, after grabbing coffee, and ran with two water bottles. I probably should've filled up along the way--there are streams and you pass by the Skagit and its sloughs frequently. The trail is flat, flat, flat. I saw eagles in trees overhead, swans crossing fields, flocks of gulls and snowgeese. I saw the sun rise. I got my feet wet, running through an overflowing Wiseman Creek. I learned the distance from Baker Lake Road to Concrete is not to be underestimated. I met a dog.

I arrived just in time to nab a couple slices that were packed to go, and then gratefully caught a ride back with friends. Overall, a most excellent January day on trail.



No comments: