Sunday, September 2, 2018

Lake Padden Relays

Saturday found me at Lake Padden, running four loops, as part of the Greater Bellingham Running Club's annual Lake Padden Relays.  This is fundamentally a relay race, with lots of high school and college students forming teams, as well as local running clubs.  The overall distance is 10.4 miles, or 2.6 miles per lap.

Lake Padden and its trails are a much loved local destination for Bellinghamsters, and I personally have been running this same trail since as far back as 1991. When I first moved to Bellingham, so long ago now, I lived with roommates not too far down the road from Padden, and in the morning before work I ran the lake regularly. I wasn't participating in events so much back then, but I did have a passion for the trails, which Padden offers.

I've done the "Iron" portion of this event a few times before. Usually I miss this event because Labor Day weekend is prime time for high country activities. I ran this year somewhere just south of two hours. I can remember once running the four laps in 1:20 or so. Times change, but at least I'm out there.

August was the hardest of times for us, as some know. Running has always been a deeply personal endeavor, as is my time on the trails. I find some sort of restoration in these activities. They are my normal.  Things are looking progressively better, and so having the confidence and time to get out to this even yesterday was absolutely terrific. I'm also pleasantly pleased to see that my fitness, which was improving, hasn't completely fallen off. It was good to see old friends toeing the line, volunteering, and just observing, on a nice, clear morning, at a familiar spot.

No pictures, I'm afraid. But do visit Lake Padden, if you never have. It won't test your endurance, but it is a special spot. I will have to get back up to speed on the pics sometime this fall. I've been a bit waylaid, due to a software update, and other changing tech, that I haven't spent enough time dealing with.

Thanks to all who stop by, and thanks for your friendship--means so much.

2 comments:

Tim Lofton said...

Twenty-five years I lived up there and never once made it to Lake Padden. Unbelievable. Good job getting out there and I'm sure it was a beautiful day up there. Baker Lake soon?

Scotty said...

Thanks Tim! All the more reason I should have pics up! it was a beautiful day, indeed, and I enjoyed doing my laps. Yes, hope to make it to Baker Lake again--annual routine for me!