Monday, April 23, 2018

Spokane River Run 25k

No pictures, and that's too bad, as there were plenty of spring-time sights at the Spokane River Run 25k this weekend. There were points on the run, particularly in the last 5 miles, where the trail was on a ridge, overlooking the valley.  There were balsam root plants in bloom--the short yellow sunflower plants. The rugged pine trees and soft trail were picture worthy.  Somebody though ran without a camera, and so next time, I suppose.

It's always good to get over to eastern Washington this time of year.  The peaks in the distance still show snow, but spring is apparent everywhere.  It's not too hot to run, and the weather is usually a bit better than what you'll find on the west side.

I enjoyed the "Challenge Course," which advertises a 1900 feet elevation gain over 25k. There is a slightly easier 25k as well, and the event also offers runners the choice of pairing the two courses for one 50k. Maybe next time.  Every mile is marked, which is a bit of a change, but kind of nice considering my condition.  There were three aid stations for the Challenge Course, which is plenty, but I carried a bottle of water and some gels. 

The event is a local benefit for the Garfield A.P.P.L.E. program, which offers enhanced benefits for Spokane students. The event had a real community feel to it. The tech shirt even features a student drawing. I ran with a good friend, who in turn ran with a bunch of peeps he knew.  I didn't actually run with them--but friendly faces before and after a race is terrific.

As for how I ran....well, slow, but I've done worse. I thought I'd hike a lot, but the soft trail was very inviting, and so a steady trot was the outcome. My hip, knee, and stomach are still in the opposition party, but I will continue to campaign for a better me.

The drive, by the way, was long. I managed to listen to the whole audio for Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, a full PJ concert (Charlottesville '13), and some talk radio. RIP Art Bell.


2 comments:

Seth Wolpin said...

Whaaaat? No pictures? :) Nice job Scottie. I hope to see you this weekend at the starlight thingy. Keep up the bloggin'

Scotty said...

Thanks Seth!!! This was a really fun one, and fast, if you want to be. Long drive, but tall trees, balsam root, and some interesting river valley geology. Sorry--I'll circle around via text, but I decided I needed to stay home this weekend, after being on the road all last weekend. Plants to plant, etc. Hope we get together soon (: !