Saturday, June 8, 2013

Race Beneath The Sun


Early June presents so many different terrific race and backcountry options.  I chose to run the Race Beneath The Sun 5 miler this Saturday morning, hosted by the Greater Bellingham Running Club (GBRC). The sun didn't cooperate, but we didn't get rain, so it was a fine enough day.

This 5 mile race starts and finishes in Fairhaven Park, in the exact same place as the old start/finish for Chuckanut.  It's mostly suburban trail.  After leaving the Park, there's a little downill towards Fairhaven, that has everyone running a step quicker. What goes down must come up---there's some work to do, to complete the course, including the C. Moore Loop. It's sort of cool to take that final turn, and finish just like the old C-nut. Not as many people watching though--I think less than 100 did the race. I'll take the small event any day.

I finished somewhere north of 47 minutes, which is about 9 minutes slower than the last time I did this race, some ten years ago.  I remember the course pushing me that day too. There is slight improvement as compared to last weekend, but I still fought shin pain and shortness of breath a bit, causing me to walk in 10 yard stretches a few times.

My plan is to keep doing smaller and shorter events right now, and work my way up to the longer distances.  I'm happy for now to try to focus on diet, core, and consistency.  I need to stick with the PT exercises better.  There will be some longer races down the way, but these short events are fun!

Good to see so many GBRC friends, like Rick, Polly, Julie, Dave and so many others volunteering. This is club running at its local finest. Thank you volunteers. My best to all my friends running elsewhere this weekend---Cougar Mounatin, Vashon Island, the San Diego 100, and wherever else. Run strong, be happy.



No comments: