Sunday, October 1, 2017

Oktoberfest 10k - Anchorage



When in Anchorage, run with the Anchorage Running Club! I did!

The Club's annual Oktoberfest Run to End Homelessness 10k/5k runs is an out and back on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. This is a beautiful paved trail that skirts the coastline outside of Anchorage, eventually providing a terrific view of the 49th State's sprawling metropolis. The fall colors continue, with yellow leaves covering sections of the trail. This is a fast, flat event that can be ran fast. Or/And run in a costume.

I just jogged/walked and took pictures. TripAdvisor said this trail is the number one thing to do in Anchorage, so I didn't make this an event as much as an activity. Glad to have a chance to check out this trail, and participate in a group run.

After the run, I later hiked on the Campbell Tract, out by North Bicentennial Park. I told my wife I was looking for moose. It took me 15 minutes to find two moose, standing like silent sentinels a little too close to the trail. Since everyone else was running with bear bells or bear spray, I decided I probably ought to come back a little better equipped. Alaska is the real deal, and you don't really have to get out of town to go wild. I was very impressed by the number of roadside trails and greenways, laced throughout the city. And the Chugach Mountains are right there, towering over Anchorage like the Wasatch over Salt Lake City or the Rockies elsewhere.

My time in Alaska is done, for now. There's enough space and things to do to take a lifetime up there. I'm really happy for the opportunity to see a bit, and visit with friends. The Equinox and the Alaska Railroad were certainly the highlights, along with my work, but I also really enjoyed picking up on the little things that spoke to what its like to live in Alaska. Things like a prevalence of duck boots, styling long underwear, lots of quads and big rigs, sports bars with fans supporting teams from everywhere, a do it yourself attitude, and open spaces. And of course the weather and sunlight/daylight differences.








No comments: