Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Baker Lake 50k


Glad to be able to return to the Baker Lake 50k once again, last weekend. My favorite race.

This year's edition featured rain on the second half.  The way out was quiet and perfect temperature for running. It was overcast, and alas, no views of Mt. Baker. I took the early start, finish late route. I like the early start, because I don't have to worry about how fast I'm going, and also because there are a lot less people on the trail for the start of the race. It works out perfect for me, since the starting line is only about 45 minutes from home.

I had some indigestion out there, which affected my performance a bit. However, I've had it worse, and my head was on the trail the whole day. And I wasn't going to be fast, no matter what was going on. t took a pole to help with my hip and ankle, though I didn't really need it. Maybe if I saw a bear.  Not this time.

The trail is in excellent shape. It looks like some folks did some trail work in certain sections. Most notably, there is a new bridge across Anderson Creek, the first real crossing in the race. The past bridge was kind of sketchy, tilted a bit with a single wire to guide. I made it across the old one when it was icy a few times (in the winter), and the potential for a fall was there. So, good improvement. Some other bridge repairs were evident too.

I understand some new records were made. Congrats! The finish line was amazing, as always, with great eats and people to share with. Many smiles. Warm broth is always welcome for recovery.

Thank you to Skagit Runners, as always, for putting on this terrific event. Terry, Delores, Chris, Al, Susan, Toi, et al--terrific!

I took a few more pics this year. Here some are....











2 comments:

Tim Lofton said...

Gosh, Stan doesn't look like he's changed much at all. I really miss that race, and especially the cool, damp conditions that usually accompany it. Nice looking bridge they've put in there. I'm like you in that, if I ever make it back, I'd probably take the early start as well to just take in the day a bit more. I'm pretty sure ultras, for the sake of racing, are off my radar at this point. Thanks for posting Scott!

Scotty said...

Thanks Tim! Great day, as always. Stan hasn't changed--he's still knocking them out or volunteering at a race. He's terrific. You could do ultras at my speed, I guarantee it!