Saturday, August 24, 2013

Cutthroat Classic


Ran the Cutthroat Classic in the North Cascades today. The best part of this was it was a family thing, with Holley and Dan also running, and lots of family members over in Winthrop.

Cutthroat is a terrific 11.1 mile run, beginning on the PCT at Rainy Pass, on Highway 20.  The first four or five miles are uphill, about 2000 feet in gain, up to Cutthroat Pass. The second half is mostly downhill, on dry, rocky terrain.

The high pass is absolutely gorgeous, as these pics endeavor to show--though my phone pics never really do justice.  The one above is a panorama effort from the top of the pass. Best to click on it.  Below, my uncle, a mushroomer, found porcini in the parking lot before the race. The rest pretty much speak form themselves.

This race is getting really popular.  It always sells out early.  I understand 400 runners were registered this year. To spread things out, a wave start format is used. The Methow Valley Trails Sports Association does a terrific job--so many volunteers out there to support this event.  More on them at www.mvsta.org. Thanks all!

My effort was about what I expected. A real struggle going up--not enough flex in the legs, and something up with the breathing. Once on top, I was able to run steady enough down. Probably my 6th or 7th finish--this was one of my first trail events. I suppose this is the year of the bee stings. I got stung twice, and Holley and Dan both got stung too.

Great to see friends and familiar faces over there.  Mainly, great to camp out and run with the fam.  We camped in Winthrop on the Methow River. Originally, I was registered for CC this weekend, but I knew I wasn't up for it--this was a winner alternative.








No comments: