Sunday, October 7, 2012

Baker Lake 50k


The 2012 edition of the Baker Lake 50k had absolutely incredible weather. A little chilly in the morning, the day quickly warmed up. For once, the bridges were all dry--I think there are 50 or 60 bridge crossings overall, usually all a little wet. Mount Baker was visible all day along the trail--it seems like there were more viewpoints this year, perhaps due to some trail work.  The trail itself was clear. Trail running doesn't get much better than this.

This was my first 50k of the year. I did it because I always do this race, but I didn't run well, and I didn't run at all for portions of the return trip of the out and back. I was tired, muscles hurt, and the digestion didn't work properly. I knew it would be this way. I am so happy just the same to have thrown myself on the trail, and on such a beautiful day, and see what would happen.

Great to see so many friends. Everyone so friendly. It's been too long since my last race. Hard to believe the race didn't even have a race fee this year (though I did make a donation), particularly with the soup and other post-race fare, and aid station goodies. Dave and Jeanette Dutton and their family put together such a wonderful time with this event. Special props to John Bandur for his 10th Baker Lake finish. Made me smile to see John sitting next to the Baker Bear, above, after the race. Also, Stanley Nakashima on the trail, doing the sweep. You know you're ultrarunning in the PNW if Dave, John, and Stan are on the trail.

I can write a book on how not to prepare for a race. The night before, I was in Seattle after a work thing, and had tuna tartar and bone marrow at RN 74. Just weird. Mix that with coffee and GU, and my stomach never felt good during the day, or today.  Some day I'll prep smart. Today I feel whooped, sort of like the Baker Bear above, but I'll bounce back and if I can get this left leg of mine working right, I'll be hitting events more, once again.

Driving out, I saw a bobcat cross the road. 

The main thing to remember about this year is the weather--maybe the best ever, with the best ever views of Mount Baker. I could see the crevasses of the glaciers, climbing up to the peak. This race is a gem, and always my favorite.

No comments: