Monday, June 25, 2012

Nashville


I went to Nashville for a professional conference a week or so ago. Six days, five nights in the south, in June. Wasn't as humid as it could be, but the thunder rolled a few days. Gully washers. I ran a bit, but mostly I worked sun up to sun down, afterwards making it downtown a few times.

Nashville is a blast. Calling itself Music City, the bands there play all sorts of stuff, though mostly country and whatever will earn a tip. I suspect they'll never get too far from the Appalachian roots. I think I heard seven different versions of Old Crow Medicine Show's Wagon Wheel. Alabama's Mountain Music, Devil Went Down to Georgia, and anything by Jason Aldean seemed en vogue. I realize some would call this the fourth circle of Hell. They'll sing about that too. For a tip.

I'm told the Red, White and Blue trails at Percy-Warner Park are the place to run. Didn't get out there, regrettably, but I'll blog about them anyway. The terrain and flora seem similar to Virginia and the mid-Atlantic, though warmer. I thought the country was beautiful. Really regret not having a car, as I wanted to run the RC/Moon Pie Festival 10 miler, but it was some 50 miles away on a day where I had to be in conference. There is a local running club, for group runs.

Everyone recommends Jack's Bar B Q downtown for eats, and a trip through Robert's Western World and Tootsies Lounge are said mandatory. Learned a lot about barbq on this trip--hit Jack's twice, favor the Carolina Sauce. Toured the Ryman, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and wandered the streets. Popped into Gruhn's Guitars, a favorite of musicians. Caught a night at the Grand Ol Opry, with Dierks Bentley, Luke Bryan and Craig Morgan, contemporary stars.









1 comment:

Luke Bryan tickets said...

I've not seen him, but love his music. He came to Macon last year and sold out the place (of course it helps that he is from 2 hours South of here). His tickets are reasonalby priced . I imagine it's an awesome, energetic, fun show.