Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mazama 10k



I found myself on Friday night trying to figure out what to do with this Memorial Day weekend.  On a whim, I threw a sleeping bag in the car, grabbed some Springsteen cds, and set out on Highway 20 for the Mazama 10k and a night under the stars. The 10k is put on by the Methow Valley Trails Association and has been around a long time.
  
Two months, it seems, is is too long to taper for a 10k.  I wheezed, and then my Achilles issue started acting up, and that’s enough about how I did.

The course is slow for a 10k, with a few climbs on cross country ski trails, sans the snow. You feel the 2000 feet elevation a bit, if you’re me. Very cool to run around the Methow Valley this time of year, with a variety of blue, yellow and orange wildflowers growing, and the clear snowmelt running fast in the creeks.  I missed out on last week’s Sun Mountain haps, so I suppose this was a nice fill in.   

Afterwards, a pancake breakfast and the traditional MVSTA awards and raffle ceremony by the red community center.  A latte at the Mazama store, and then back home.  The drive over Highway 20 is beautiful right now, with snow banks melting fast.  



No comments: