Sunday, June 5, 2011

National Trails Day


Great weather this weekend--the first days over 70 degrees in roughly 6 months. I probably should've went east early in the morning, but didn't find the motivation for the drive. Instead, I figured I'd work my way around Blanchard a couple times. Turns out I felt sort of sick, or maybe it was adjusting to the weather, but I did not make good time. Perhaps I need events on the schedule a bit more just to keep my miles up. Just going with the flow.

I didn't realize it, but Saturday was National Trails Day, and the Washington State Department of Natural Resources decided to focus its attention on Blanchard Mountain trails. There were more cars at Blanchard then I'd ever seen, and several horse trailers. It was awesome to see the trails filled with trail workers, helping out from several groups, including WIMPS, PNWT Association, Whatcom Backcountry Horsemen, and a hangglider group. Horses were packing gravel in, barbq at the lower parking lot, teams of trailworkers pretty far up in the trail system. I passed between 50 and 75 trail workers, and no fewer than 15 horses.

Thank you to all who volunteered their time, energy and resources to one of my favorite places to run! It means a lot. It also reminds me that I need to put in some time soon for CC.

No comments: