Saturday, April 25, 2009

Death Cab For Cutie


I lucked into a couple tickets to Death Cab for Cutie's show in Bellingham on Thursday. Tenth row seats, in the grand old Mount Baker Theater! This is just a terrific location, and DCFC doesn't play these smaller places anymore. I went with my college roommate Steve, hanging out beforehand, and catching up on things at the Bayou on the Bay. Crawfish and alligator dip before a show! I don't think I've ever had gator before. We caught the second night show, which was "students only"--very lively---the crowd never sat.
-
I really didn't know that much about the Death Cab, except that they are from Bellingham and WWU originally, and lots of people like them a lot. This was their homecoming show--"We are Death Cab for Cutie....and we are from Bellingham!" (Crowd roar.) They all were Western students, I think, maybe Huxley even, my college. I liked the lead singer Ben Hibbard's comment about their visit--"Some things haven't changed a bit; some things have totally changed." I tried to think back to B'ham 10 years ago and now--amazing differences, and yet you still can get a disc and a bagel on Railroad. Steve said it felt like three lifetimes ago.
-
I'll save the Lester Bangs professional review for someone else (and Annie L. would not be a fan of these grainy pics)--but no exaggeration--it was a "rock star" performance, with great sound, pyrotechnics, driving bass lines, drumlines at times that reminded me of early U2 or maybe Journey, and a charismatic lead singer. I'm going to get some more of their music, pronto.
-

-
Friday night I went to OneAmerica's annual dinner in Seattle. This was a bigger deal than I expected, with over 600 attendees at the Washington Trade and Convention Center, and some very notable speakers (e.g. Ron Simms, Jim McDermott). OneAmerica is a terrific advocacy group, pushing for improved civil, immigrant and human rights in Washington. Originally started as the "HateFreeZone" in the aftermath of 9/11, to combat violence that was occurring to immigrants locally, their mission has now expanded and they are doing all sorts of good things, like fighting for the better detention standards in Tacoma and helping families in need, who've been separated from loved ones. People just don't realize some of the stuff that goes on.
-

In running news, I saw two owls sitting on a branch while running down the Fragrance trail this week. Here's a picture of one. I also ran around Blanchard one night, with a noticably improved time for a familiar loop, which is encouraging. I wasn't into driving to Olympia for the Capitol runs this weekend, after being out late the last two nights, and so I'm doing something local this weekend, though nothing near as taxing as a 50 miler. I want to get away from running the calendar. I may hit the Sunflower next weekend in Winthrop, since the North Cascades Pass opened last night.

1 comment:

shawn said...

How cool! I actually don't know many of their songs, but love I Will Follow You Into the Dark. I hope that song is "classic" years from now.