Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Appomattox & D-Day




-
After USMC and Harper's Ferry, my Dad and I made our way down to southern Virginia, and visited the Appomattox National Park and the National D-Day Memorial. Appommattox is where Lee surrendered to Grant, and the Civil War ended. Though coincidental, it seems fitting to post pics of my visit last week to this place, in light of Obama's election. And I like them. You can go in the McClean house, where terms of surrender were negotiated, and they had an in character Rebel soldier actor describe the events leading to the conclusion of the War. The other photos are of the D-Day Memorial, which is in Bedford, Virginia, located there in large part to honor the Bedford Boys, locals, who were a big part of the storming of Omaha Beach on D-Day, most of whom died charging the beach. I'm not a real war buff--that's more my Dad, and yet I found both places quite moving, though in different ways.

No comments: