Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Best of 2016

Every year I do this---here’s a list of the best of 2016:

1.     Lime Kiln Point

I took a week off work at the end of the summer, but we didn’t travel far.  Deb and I hit the ferry for a day trip to San Juan Island—the ferry landing is only a half hour from home. We spent a full afternoon just sitting on Lime Kiln point, waiting for Orca whales, which we never saw. The breeze was right, the temperature was right, everything was right.  Canada was across the way. Porpoises and other sea creatures came by. This was a magical afternoon, which took very little work. I was so content, just sitting with Deb, looking out across the water. I've been to many national parks and preserves--Lime Kiln Point is as special as any of them.


2.     Maui

I’m a big fan of David Bowie. When he passed away in early January, I was surprised, shocked. He was there in my teen years, as I offloaded produce at the Farm Market. He was there in my college years, as I was digging into his older stuff, while playing cards with my best friends. When he died, and I saw a good deal on Maui, I said to Deb, life is short, David Bowie died, we need to go. There's never a bad reason to go to Maui, but this was ours.

The trip was awesome. We shared a condo in Maalaea with Deb’s daughter and husband. You could see sea turtles in the surf, at the seawall, from the lanai. I hiked the Acid War Zone trail, a short point to point hike on the west side of Maui, by the Nakalele blowhole. Amazing--I’ve never seen anything quite this short trail of combed and pored rock. We went to Mama’s Fish House for dinner, which rightfully lands on many national restaurant lists. We went up to Haleakala National Park, which is over 10,000 feet above sea level. From there, views of the Big Island, red rock cinder domes and craters, and all the eccentricities of high altitude life in such a strange place.

Never had a bad day in Hawaii.




3.     Pelton Basin

Mike and I hiked on a rainy summer day over Cascade Pass in the North Cascades, and down into Pelton Basin. I’ve never been into the Basin, as I usually turn around or go up Sahale Arm. This is an ancient trade route. Pelton Basin turned out to be a special place, with wide open valley space, long views down valley, and tall mountainsides. The plan is to return and find some way down to Stehekin or perhaps over Park Pass.



Another hike with Mike, to a favorite lookout of mine. We failed to make it to the top a few years back. This year, we made it to the lookout, while there is still lots of snow on top. This is a hard one, and I’m an hour or more slower than I’ve been in the past, but steady does it. I was actually pretty pleased with my day. We saw a bear, which accommodated a selfie.




My 13th Baker Lake 50k in a row. While I was slow, I was an hour faster than last year’s fiasco, which gives me hope for improvement. I know each turn of the trail well. Always enjoy seeing Stan, John, Terry, and others here. My favorite ultra.



Nice to toe the line again at one of James and Rainshadow’s runs. It's been too long. Deception Pass is beautiful, and the 25k hits all the right trails, with cliffs, big trees, bridges, and some really good pizza at the finish line. I also like those races with start lines less than an half hour from home.



So nice to get back to Bridle Trails this year.  I did the first lap with Holley, and the second lap with Mike.  Hung out with Seth too, on the way in. So this was a friends and family thing. I was so slow that I needed to finish in the dark, but I really enjoyed my time here, and may go back next week. When the weather is bearable, I love this January event. No pictures--every picture tells a story, I guess, but not every story has a picture.

8.     Dawg Dash

Dan and I ran this 10k at the University of Washington, my fastest, albeit slow, in a few years. Nice purple shirt with a dawg on it. Dan and I have been friends since we were teenagers. Family now. Lately, he has made it out to a few races with me, like Cutthroat and Dawg Dash.



On the fifteenth anniversary of 9/11, I ran our local half-marathon. Skagit Runners does a terrific job with this event, year after year. The weather was nice on this day, and I found myself in a reflective state, having gotten up early and watched the ceremonies. This world....sometimes running seems to be the only thing that makes sense.



I love this Methow Valley event. My memories of running through burned areas are special. I struggled with the sun, and I was definitely a back of packer. But this is one fine half-marathon. Recommend, recommend.





These rankings aren’t particularly meaningful. I just like to have them. The Maui trip really stands out, as do a few moments in the year, such as sitting by the sea, and more than anything, certain family events. There weren’t many, if any, truly epic endeavors. On the other hand, I'm pleased to note that I stayed active.

Honorable mentions go to finally running the Once Around Lake Cavanaugh, as well as getting down the trail at the 50th Anniversary of the Chuckanut Footrace. Other events included the Nookachamps 10k, the Great Sedro-Woolley Foot Race, March Point10k, Berry Dairy Days Half Marathon, Fort Ebey Kettles Half Marathon, and the Little Mountain 10k, and the Fall Fowl Run 10k. Great to see friends at these events, running and volunteering.

So, it looks like in total I did 5 10ks, 4 half-marathons, a 50k, a 25k, and 4 races of other distances. 15 events all total. A sampler of non-events. Honestly, I should be in better shape than I am. Strong spirit, if not flesh, I guess.

I also had a terrific day volunteering with Deb, BJ, Erica, Mike, and Aly at the Little Bear Aid Station on the Cascade Crest 100 course. I'd like to get back to that type of shape one of these days. I volunteered at a few other events.

We had many other highlights to the year, though none bigger than a certain addition to the family. We saw Patti Smith perform Horses from start to finish at the Moore. Later, she would end up accepting the Nobel Prize for Bob Dylan. We saw Springsteen at the Key, where he and the E Street Band played The River from end to end. Eddie Vedder even showed up! We were right on the rail, and Deb shook the Boss’s hand twice. Amazing four hour show. I grew a whole lot of tomatoes from seed--at least 10 different varieties. It was my nightly meditation after work. Some of us fellas went to Flight to Mars at the Showbox, with a Bowie tribute, and a whole lot of Duff and Mike. I went to an exciting Monday night Seahawks game with Dave, Sean, and his wife. We ended the year with a nice trip to Las Vegas, for a family event which made us proud.





Thank you to all my friends and family for the times shared, and here’s to more good times to come.


No comments: