Saturday, May 11, 2013

Stay Hungry

We've had an influx of good weather locally, which seems to be good for the spirits.  I've been able to get out and run a bit after work on most days in the past couple weeks.  Today, I did the old loop around Blanchard.

I huff and I puff.  I walk and I run.  I'm not strong but the effort isn't bad.  I can picture a day when the running may come at least a bit easier again. I understand the snow level is up to 5500 feet in some places now.  Time to start thinking about looking east to the North Cascades for my trails, again.

I continue in physical therapy, about one appointment a week. The sessions are good for me, inasmuch as I'm thinking more about core stability and am constructively stretching.  I'm not the best student or patient, as my discipline is lacking. But there is forward progress.

I'm just about at that point where I'll sign up for an event. Maybe next weekend. Maybe not. I'm not too driven by events, checklists, or other persons' running calendars.  After a busy year, I mostly feel like I need to catch my breath. I also feel like I need to build up slow, gain some confidence, and enjoy running day to day.

But I'm also telling myself to "Stay hungry."  I heard a business owner say this was their advice to new business owners: "Stay hungry! You have to stay hungry! Appreciate your customers, and go after their business." For whatever reason, this advice stuck with me, but also has turned into a bit of a mantra for me as I make my way up hills and wrestle with the miles.


No comments: