Monday, January 4, 2010

Tiger Mountain

On Saturday I ran the 25k option of the New Year’s Day Fat Ass 50k/25k at Tiger Mountain. I haven’t been to Tiger Mountain in twenty years or so, which probably sounds ridiculous to the King and Pierce County crowd, as I know it is a regular running haunt for many. I can see why. Lots of great trail, ledges, tree chutes, and plenty of climbs and drops. It’s a bit of a drive for me, which is exactly what folks say about coming up north. This Fat Ass has been around for years, and I've known about it, and so this seemed like a good year to check it out. Hopefully I make it again next year--great crowd, and apparently larger than usual.
-
One of the things I find special about Tiger Mountain is it is a place preserved in large part due to the efforts of Harvey Manning, who is also largely responsible for getting national park status for the North Cascades, and all sorts of other great conservation feats in Washington. I think it is safe to say that he is one of Washington’s great heroes of the last century, though for years I just saw him as a great guide book author. His advocacy has really made a difference on the local landscape. I understand they just erected a statue in his honor in Issaquah this past year. Harvey passed away about five years ago.
-
As for Saturday, it was rainy and windy to start, and had the potential to be a miserable day, but things magically cleared up 10 minutes in, after I turned a corner, making the jacket I brought extra luggage for the next three hours. I hate when that happens. I accidentally started early, as everyone was just signing in on a book on a car, and then appeared to be taking off. Someone said you just time yourself, and so I went, but apparently a big group did start at 8 AM. They caught me soon enough, which is for the best, as I probably would’ve missed a turn, as I am apt to do. The trail was marked with stockings and candy canes and other Christmas loot.
-
Outside of strong winds at the summits, the day was most excellent for running. There were some extended hikes as well, with over 3000 feet elevation gain for the 15 miles. Many did the loop twice—that didn’t sound right for me on this day, but now I'm second guessing a bit. No, I did right. I ran the larger part of the course with Glen M. Glen pushed me just a little, which was good for me right now. He finished WS last year, and will be doing it again this year, and so we had plenty to talk about it. Much excitement and much to think about and train for.
-
Next up: I’m going to try to run Lake Samish and Bridle Trails. Looking forward to both. Then probably Nookachamps, with some winter stuff spread out this month.

No comments: