Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday Runs


The weather was great this holiday weekend, but I had some sort of cold that limited my running. Still, for purposes of later recollection....
-
-
-
On Thursday, Christmas Eve, I knocked out a Chuckanut ridge run, starting at the Larrabee trail head, going up, and then looping around on the Interurban. It was a gorgeous day, and the view of Mount Baker and Shuksan was sharp, with the Coquahalla highway mountains visible in the distance, and a clear shot looking west over the bay. Good day.
-
On Friday, I zipped around the Nookachamps before heading south. The birds are nuts right now. I scared a couple flocks off some telephone lines, and they would fly a 100 meters up the road, and we did this a few times. I'm not sure what they are, but "there's an app for that," I discovered, and have since downloaded some Audubon field guides on to my phone. This seems like a pretty good app to have, and so I mention it here. My cousin recommends Doodlebuddy.
-
Saturday was a bust due to illness. Sunday wasn't much of an effort, but I went with some Skagit locals and did a short night run on the Baker Lake Trail. We only went for a bit more than an hour, but it was cool, and Baker really stands out at night, if you get the right clear view. The trail was pitch black, black as pitch, and I can't remember the last time I saw some pitch, but it was dark. The log crossing over Anderson Creek was really really sketchy, with a very slick covering of white frost, with the dangerously cold creek and rocks below. We lived.

No comments: