Sunday, September 13, 2009

Heeling

Cascade Crest did a number on my right heel. Actually, I'm pretty sure somebody in my family would correct me on that, and say *I* did a number on my right heel. I felt a bit like an idiot limping around a week after the race. One friend was like, “So…why do you do this?,” and all I could do was make fun of myself. I’m not sure whether to be pissed at my socks, my shoes, or me.
-
I got two blisters on the heel. One was obvious, with ripped skin wrapping all the way around the back of the heel. It hurt, but I wore open heeled shoes to accommodate it, which helped. The other one was less obvious—there was some sort of blister deep underneath the thick callus of the heel, and it made stepping painful. That got really old.
-
I’m finally up and running again this weekend, as the deep seated blister finally healed up. I made it out into the Nookachamps this afternoon. Nothing remarkable, but I like to keep this blog up a bit to keep a record of my running, for better or worse. It was so nice to run with the good weather we had this weekend, and I ran pretty quick because the rest of me was ready to knock out some miles. The corn fields are high. I did see a dead eagle on the side of the road. Very sad. and something I’ve never seen. There are a lot of raptors in this area. I imagine it got hit while eating something in the road.
-
In other news, I volunteered at the Skagit Flats Marathon this morning. There were a lot of participants this year—more than ever, I was told. Proceeds benefit scholarships for high school runners in the area. Skagit Runners runs the marathon on an all volunteer basis, and RD Terry S. really pays attention to the details. Special props to Stan, as today’s marathon was number 300 for him! I think it was his 30th Skagit marathon in a row.
-
Also, for the record, the Skagit River is down about as low as I’ve ever seen it, and people are lining the banks, going after salmon. Kings are open this year, for the first time since 1992 I think. I don't really fish, but I feel like I'm missing an event.
-
Next up...I’m going to take it relatively easy the rest of the year, but Baker Lake and Seattle are sure things, and I expect to get up to the North Cascades once or twice more.
-




No comments: