Sunday, August 2, 2009

Arts

I probably need to go run right now, get in my weekend miles, since I've been lame so far this weekend, but it is so hot out. The Pacific Northwest set heat records earlier this week, with Bellingham getting up to 96 degrees, and Seattle hitting 103, both all time records. I cannot believe that in all of history Bellingham's highest temperature was 94 degrees, until now. Those records suck. But temperature is weird--96 degrees around these parts seems a lot hotter than elsewhere. Around here, everything effectively slows down when it gets this hot. I know I don't feel normal in the head or the body. I'm not into heat.
-
So.... in this much anticipated installment of "Before the Deluge"---which, btw, is a title I chose quickly for this blog, obliquely referencing running, environment, music, water, and the end of the world, or maybe this weekend---
-
Saturday morning--volunteered at the Anacortes Art Dash. I volunteered at a friend's behest, and then said friend told City that I knew everything about running a race, that I am a lawyer, and so everything would be very organized. I run races, but I don't really run races, at least yet. Maybe someday. I quickly called another friend who does, and so responsibilty properly shifted. I got up at 6 AM, helped set things up, and then ran the timers. Good volunteer work, and nice to be out in such a beautiful town early Saturday. I followed that up with a visit to the Anacortes Farm Market. The Skagit is going bonkers right now with berries and greens--the Farmer's markets are full, as is my fridge, and friends are giving stuff out like crazy. I'm cooking all sorts of quick stir frys, and probably should learn how to freeze/store things, but I am so busy.
-
After Anacortes, I headed down to Seattle and caught the Kenny Chesney Sun Carnival Tour with Dan, my cousin's husband, and only other person in the fam who admits to listening to country. The show was at Qwest, tickets were anywheres from $75 to $500, and it was a nuts lineup as far as popular country radio goes. Sort of like one of those old Monsters of Rock shows at the Kingdome. The show was a 7 hour marathon, probably 40k in attendance. Our seats were ok, but we were far out. The crowd-watching was good, but I didn't see a a lot of ultrarunners.
-
I liked it. All the acts were hitting, but the show really picked up steam as the evening set in, with Sugarland and Kenneth Cheseny cleaning up. Everyone covered popular rock songs, along with their hits. Lady Antebellum: Hurt So Good. Miranda Lambert: I Love Rock and Roll--and she should cut this as a single--really pulled it off, with her pink guitar. Montgomery Gentry: a Kiss rock song. Sugarland: Pearl Jam's Betterman, Madonna's Holiday. Jennifer Nettles is amazing---real stage presence. Chesney was terrific, taking a chairlift from midfield to get to the stage at the start, sort of like Motley Crue. From there he was non-stop for two hours, running all over the place, knocking out his hits. His encore was all covers, with some guests: Take It Easy, The Joker, a Marley song, Blister in the Sun, and finishing with U2's With or Without You.



No comments: