Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sun Mountain

Sun Mountain 50k, yesterday, in the Methow Valley. Above Winthrop, near Sun Mountain Lodge, organized by James V. and Alison H., and they of course did a great job. An incredible amount of work was put into getting the course ready, from breaking up ice on ski trails to laying down straw for traction. This was a three lap "lollipop" course, with an aid station every five miles. Some of us were snickering at the start as James explained the directions, as I have no clue what he was saying, and I probably wasn't listening that good anyway--something about a lollipop, but then he tags his summary with "It'll be your own fault if you get lost!" But he was right---once we started, things were completely well marked. I sort of missed one turn on the third lap, after getting it right the first two times---a total space case move on my part. This is not uncommon for me. I could get lost in a paper bag.
-
There was lots of climbing, at a tad higher elevation than you'd find west of the mountains. Perfect training for this time of year. The 10 mile course was essentially two climbs, with the second one summitting Patterson Mountain, with a worthy straight up 10 minute climb towards the end. Do it three times for 50k, fool. The views were always incredible, frequently looking down at the still frozen Patterson Lake, pictured here. Or out towards the cold, pointed North Cascade peaks. Single track trails, with thigh high tumbleweeds, up, over or through cattle gates and other ranching type obstacles. The weather was odd--sometimes sunny, sometimes chilly with a breeze, moreso typically on Patterson Mountain across its summit plateau. I carried a windbreaker, that really made a difference up there. A friend of mine says its good "mountain etiquette" to carry a second layer. Good idea on this Saturday.
-
As far as my run goes, I was challenged---cramps for the first 15 miles, probably due to the Subway sandwich and late night arrival, and camping out in the cold the night before. Stars and the full moon made it totally worth it. Love the stars in the Methow. I was a bit bronchially challenged too--this has happened before, and so I think I need to have a few things checked. I didn't push (and it showed with my time)--I was out there for the trails. On the second lap, I found a lost dog, cute, wimpering, very sad. It ran right on my shin for 10 minutes or more, worried, crying, obviously lost. I helped find his master, and when he saw him, he ran like a bolt through the tumbleweeds, so happy. Yes, we can be heroes, just for one day.
-
There was pizza at the finish line, many flavors. Very fulfilling pizza. Pizza that makes you happy, after running 3o some miles. The finish line was a line in the dirt. With crowds, cheering. For me. Maybe just one crowd. A few people, really, since I was near last, and most everyone had already left. It was that kind of day for me, as far as running goes. Despite a slow start, I felt much stronger towards the end, especially after I addressed the early-race cramps with regular doses of endurolytes. It was supposed to be hard for me--I stacked this week with tough runs on Blanchard and Chuckanut, just to up the ante a bit.
-
Southern Rock Gold on the way over, discs 1 and 2. Then, Beck's Guero. "My black tambourine!" 250 miles.


No comments: