Sunday, September 28, 2008

Chuckanut At Sunrise

I went up Chuckanut on Saturday morning--Fragrance Lake to Chinscraper, and then on the ridge, for just short of three hours. I ran horribly--it was more of a hike, and I wasn't much into moving fast. I've been doing a lot lately--this is a-ok. I started in the dark, at roughly 6:15 AM, and it didn't get light until 7 or so. It was nice getting up early, and driving across the valley floor with dark skies over the fields. I should've started earlier, to catch the actual sunrise from the top, but I was late. Still, it was a headlamp run for the first half hour, which sounds cool, and it kind of was, I guess--this "run" is sounding better as I write--but I didn't start out thinking headlamp run.
-
I heard a coyote screeching for quite some time before the sun came up, and not much else. Two huge crows flew above me at the top of C-nut, and you could hear the displacement of air as they flapped their wings. I spent a good five minutes watching a big redheaded woodpecker go to town on a tree. First I heard it, above me--it's actually in the picture below, looking upwards, but the picture is worthless for seeing it. Probably a Pileated Woodpecker, about a foot tall, though I haven't opened a book to check yet. I spent a good ten minutes picking mushrooms--I'm not sure yet if they're edible, but I'm working on that too. They look edible. Sunday night could be a kick. I was totally not into running, and it took me eight minutes longer than normal to "summit". I'm fine with this--I should be worn down, which I am--feel a little bronchially challenged. The point was to get out early, just get out, and then meet friends later for breakfast. I figure, to keep running and hiking the trails as I get older, the trick is to run easy and hike whenever that feels right.
-
So....low key running weekend, but....GOOD NEWS! My overflow entry to the Mount Masochist 50 miler in southern Virginia was accepted!!! So, in less than a month, I get to jog around the Shenandoah (or whereever it is) for 50 plus miles AND do the Marine Corps Marathon. I'm so lucky!! I'm a little worried, because this is a bit much to do in a week for me, disregarding the 100s. Still, I can't pass on a shot at doing one of the reputedly cooler 50 milers around, going on its 26th year now. I'll just go slow. Plus, I get to hang out with the folks, and some of my Skagit friends, who will also be back there for USMC.
-
Not sure if I'll do anything else this weekend, running wise. I might still go up somewhere this afternoon. So, regardless, it's an off weekend. My real Sunday focus is spiders and shrubbery control around the outside of the house. I'm trying to figure out if spiders are good, since they are insect predators, but I don't like their webs, and they ARE spiders. Also, I was gifted all sorts of veggies this week, so I might just have to get creative in the kitchen. Nice to gently enter into the fall.
-

No comments: