Monday, February 18, 2008

Orcas Island 50k


Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, blah blah, blah.

I did this race two years ago, and at the time it might've been the hardest race I had ever run. When you have to run with your hands, something's up. Once in high school I ran an early season cross country race the morning after I "experimented" with orange liquer. That might've been harder. There have been a few others, but Orcas two years ago was up there.

Orcas Island is one of my favorite places in the world. Maybe my favorite. I've been going there since I was thirteen years old. Moran State Park even, where this race is held. I guess my Dad used to go there too, as a Boy Scout. The trails and views are spectacular. Moss, big trees, islands, volcanoes, mountain lakes, taco trucks, everything, it's all there.

This year, the course was SUPPOSED to be easier, with less elevation gain, because the course was revised due to snow up high.

This year, I felt I was in better shape.

This year....

Well, it was a two lapper. The first lap, I did the early start and messed around taking pictures. This was intentional--I planned on running easy the whole day. I still don't know what happened, and I'm not going to think twice about it, it's alright. All I know is the wheels came off, way early. I tried wearing a camel back, which I never do, and it busted. Most of my pictures didn't come out. My shoes felt like wood blocks with straps. My stomach was completely broken, and my GU was leaking. I was smiling, but everything was off.

The second lap was worse. I felt like I had the bubonic flu or something. I switched shoes, and the new ones were worse. I had a tough time walking downhill. The worst of it is, for the second race in a row, I missed a loop turn. This other guy and I agreed on a way to read a sign, and we were wong. So, after busting my butt for 30 miles with about 7000 feet of elevation gain, I technically did not get a finish. They'll probably make a "special" column for me. We're all special, in the end.

Still, what a great day! My running difficulties aside, the lakes were cut out of an old Life magazine, views from Canada to Mt. Baker, and some of greatest folks anywhere, everywhere.

James Varner and Alison Hanks, Fun Directors, have really dialed things in for this event, and their enthusiasm spills over. Bunks for everyone for the whole weekend, t-shirts, the race, bluegrass band at the finish, homemade soup and cookies, a keg....all for $45. Ridiculous. Roughly 200 people took part. I was happy to be one of them, and I will be back.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey scotty! thanks for linking my photos to your blog! dude, what's up with the missed turns?!? pay attention, friend. : )